We had a dinner party on Saturday night and rather than go with the usual Indian fare, I decided to pull out my Tajine and experiment with Moroccan food. So for the first time since we've arrived, I actually cooked a meal for guests but I had a lot of help from Paresh my cook and my maid Yellama who helped clean up afterwards. Everything was done at the last minute. I really should have looked for the ingredients days before and planned it all out. Instead Prasad spent all of Saturday scouring the city for couscous, pita bread, vegetable stock, etc... After calling a few stores and restaurants we found a supermarket on Brigade road at 5th Ave Mall which had most of the ingredients except for the pita bread. We had eaten pita and hummus at 100 ft Restaurant in Indiranagar a few weeks back so they told me they could sell me fresh pita at an astronomical price or I could get it at Namdhari's. I called Namdhari's and they assured me they had some but when Prasad got there, the pita had expired dates. Apparently, the best thing to do is to call ahead one day and they keep it aside. Well it was 5pm and I was still cooking because it took poor Prasad a good part of the day to get everything we needed so we decided to go with nans instead. During the party I found out that my neighbor and another guest had couscous at home and that they knew how to make pita at home.
So what did we serve, 4 cooked salads, including bengan bharta which makes a great aubergine salad with nan for appetizers. Main course was couscous with Moroccan stew and I also had chappatis, rice and dal as a backup especially for the children. For dessert we had mango milk shake which I thought would be a big hit with the kids but none of them would have any, fortunately, the adults enjoyed it, otherwise, I was worried I would be the one to have to consume it the next day. For drinks, Prasad served wine and pomegranate martinis, the Indian mix we used was ok but a bit too syrupy, we still have yet to find a good place that sells drink mixers. Overall it was a good party especially since the kids had company and therefore translates to us having a good time too.
2 comments:
yum! way to go! you remembered where your kitchen is :-))
wow - pretty ambitious menu..
It is so surprising isnt it that a place with all the bread choices in the world does not carry pitas.
Post a Comment