Sunday, April 12, 2009

Exotic fruits












Have any of you tasted the fruit in the picture? Thanks to google, I have found out that in English, it's called palmyra palm fruit, in Telugu, it's called, Thati Munjalu. It has a black outer shell similar to a coconut. It has an odd jelly like texture and is slippery. Prasad had it cut up and brought it home. I thought we were supposed to eat it as shown in the bowl but later was told by my cousins and Prasad that I should have removed the skin, now I know why it wasn't as sweet as it was supposed to be :-) Anyway, these are in season now along with watermelon and raw mangoes. I can't wait till the sweet mangoes come out, there are a few at the supermarket but apparently, they are artificially ripened so I'm not sure how healthy they are.

Totally unrelated but Sindhu and Rushil were horsing around over the weekend and as usual it ended up with one of them getting hurt, usually Rushil given he is the smaller one and likes to push Sindhu's buttons until she kicks him harder than she should have. Anyway, this time around, as Rushil was crying and holding his arm, he exclaimed, "I NEED AN XRAY!!!". Rather than being concerned, we all burst out laughing. Needless to say, he didn't need an xray just some TLC from his dad.

3 comments:

Maith said...

Nungu! That's what they're called in Tamizh - they're "Daat Nongu" in Kannada - Love them! A staple of my summers in India - but MUST be bought early in the AM or LATE at night as they go hard in the heat.

You need really tender ones, else they taste really blah - they're also considered very cooling, so with my propensity for asthma, I was always being asked not to eat them! (Not that it stopped me :-))

M

Teju said...

I have never seen them before. I sure missed out. Are they available as something else - what are they called in Hindi??

Maith said...

It's the fruit of the Toddy-palm tree..I believe it's called tadfali in Bombay...

M