Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Top five frivolous things that are hard to find in India

1) Shoes
Just can't seem to find good shoes here. I have gone to stores like Metro and Moch, but the quality of the shoes is quite poor. They have plenty of dressy sandals or sandals with flimsy straps and heels but it's difficult to find a comfortable pair of shoes that fit well. I purchased a comfortable pair from Bata but there is something off with the fit and they constantly slip off my feet and you'll find me chasing the sandals down the stairs. I did find a few pairs of pretty chappals which I wear with kurtis and chudhi dhars but again not so comfortable. Same problem with kid's shoes too. We bought a pair of runners from Liliput and the insert came off after a few days of wearing it.

2) Comfortable underwear for Children.
I found a few pairs at Lilliput but generally the selection is limited

3) Socks for children
Again, limited selection and not as comfortable.

4) Toilet paper and paper towels
Plenty of choices available but not as soft as the ones in the US.

5) Pants
It's hard to find a decent pair of pants and decent western style clothing. This applies to the kids too, most of the pants sold here have too many patches and tags hanging off them, it's difficult to find a pair of solid coloured pants without any frills. Tops are much easier to find.

4 comments:

TK said...

1. You have to go to Bombay or some specific shops in Madras

2. Naidu Hall in Madras. Since you are going there this weekend, give it a try

3. Naidu hall might work here too

4. There isnt one. Manju always carries them from here :-)

5. If its for you, try the seconds outlet in Besant Nagar (while you are in Madras). They sell faulty (in the eyes of QA) clothes from Polo, Tommy, Gap etc there.

tk

Raji P. said...

What do u need, buddie? A friend is going to India next month. I could send you a bundle of undies and socks :) or even some runners for the kids if you tell me what size.

Mythili said...

Thanks TK for the tips. We're hardly in Chennai for a day so we may not get a chance to visit the places you're suggesting but maybe next time. Really looking forward to seeing Manju and Roshan!

Raji thanks!! My mother is visiting us in June so she's stocking up socks, sandals, underwear and pants/shorts for the kids so I think we'll be ok.

Maith said...

Ooh you got the list spot on! These are exactly the things my SIL has me bring from here for her and the family!

Except underwear - you just need to find the correct supplier. Most common underwear sold in the US is made in India (Jockey, Victoria Secret, std. white underwear for boys etc.) - see if you can find a surplus seller. MDS has many, I'm told.