We had given our electrician, Vijaykumar and his painter friend an advance for a paint job. Vijaykumar had done some electrical work for us, he seemed reliable and was a good electrician. A couple of weeks later when I asked him when he would start the work, he claimed his painter friend had taken off with the money and that he was still chasing him. Months passed by and I threatened to report him to his management, he promised he would pay me the following month but it never happened. I pretty much gave up. When he came by to do some electrical work, I brought it up again and I was pleasantly surprised that a few days later, he left the money with the estate management team. When I went to see David, the estate manager, he was telling me how Vijaykumar had pulled the same stunt with several people at the complex. There were at least 4 other residents that were waiting to get their money back. Vijaykumar was fired but his wife pleaded with David and he let him come back to work. David said that Vijakumar had a family to support and he didn't want to leave them high and dry. Apparently, Vijaykumar's wife complained that he was spending all of his salary on alcohol and gambling. David told her the only thing he could do was to give her the salary directly because once Vijaykumar gets his salary, he has no control over what he does with it. It got me thinking that the issues that David has to deal with are beyond monitoring his employee's work and paying them a salary. Often he has to take on family issues and deal with them so it is a win-win for everyone. Not such an easy task and only someone localized could handle such a job.
Who do you think was the gullible one that gave Vijaykumar the advance, I'll let you take a wild guess.
Who do you think was the gullible one that gave Vijaykumar the advance, I'll let you take a wild guess.
2 comments:
Only in India would a wife going to her husband's boss to plead for his job actually get some sympathy too. Smart woman, his wife. Nice of the boss to keep an eye out on them, I wonder how common that is.
It's more common than you think.
Post a Comment