Thursday, March 12, 2009

Changes

We drove by Halcyon, the service apartment we stayed at for 2 months when we first moved here. It was centrally located in Koramangala. Ok, I know many folks will differ with me when I say Koramangala is centrally located but compared to where we live now, believe me Koramangala is centrally located. I was amazed with the changes we saw after only a couple of months. They had a new grocery store, a new pharmacy, and they paved a new road! Maharaja Restaurant which is one of the key landmarks in Koramangala and our landmark for Halcyon also moved across the street. It's just one example of how quickly the landscape changes. Even the street we live on was paved in one day. On the other hand, they had dug a ditch at the intersection of the main street and it took them over three months to fix it and it then suddenly one day, it was fixed. The ditch was so big the school bus couldn't enter our street and we had to pick up the kids on the main street every day, it was a huge pain. Every day, we see a new store pop up on one of the streets we drive by. With so many apartments being constructed, it only takes a few months before an area becomes unrecognizable. This is not so common in North America, we don't see such widespread changes. I remember even when I visited Brossard, my hometown in Montreal after many years, it was still recognizable, yes there were some changes but less changes than you would see here in a year.

On a completely different topic, is anyone watching American Idol? I'm not sure if I'm watching this season's show but they have an Indian, Anoop Desai as one of the contenders. Anyway I saw him sing Michael Jackson's "Beat It." He looked pretty cute but his singing was only "ok" but maybe it just wasn't his song. Anyway, it was fun watching all the performances and of course Simon is as brutal as always.

No comments: