Saturday, January 3, 2009
Accents
I can say with some confidence that when we return back to the US in 2-3 years that Sindhu's accent will pretty much stay intact. Rushil though is another story. After only 6 months, an Indian accent is creeping in. He is somewhat aware of it and often does a pretty funny imitation of his teacher's accent. However, he says the letter "h" as "hech" and he now rolls his "R"s with an Indian accent. My sister was talking to him on the phone the other day and commented the same thing. Most of the Indian children in his class have Indian accents even though they recently moved from the US or UK as I think at their age, their accent is not yet solidified. The other day when he was writing some sentences as part of his homework, I asked him to write a "period" at the end of sentence and he said, "What is that?". I corrected myself and and told him to add a "full stop" and then he understood what I was asking. I noticed that the Caucasian children still retain their accents but I think it's because most of their friends are non-Indian whereas Rushil's friends outside of school are Indian and so are the other people he interacts with on a daily basis. I was expecting his accent to change but not so soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mythili,
A good observation. We have noticed Anika with a far more pronounced Chicago accent but no real changes with Nina at all.
Madhav thinks that you might like India enough to extend your stay beyond 2 years..
The Chicago winters have really gotten to us Year 2 and we are counting down already :)
Rushil was quite thrilled singing the ABC song with hetch and zed :)
Post a Comment