Thursday, January 22, 2009

Doctors

I must say I have been quite impresed with the medical system in Bangalore. We have had to visit the doctor's office multiple times for Rushil and Sindhura. We have been going to Manipal We're able to get appointments immediately and they are open in the evenings. The pediatrician would often call the dermatologist for consultation and they both would examine Rushil together. They have provided their cell phone numbers and often if I called them, they would discuss Rushil's case together. The doctor has called us multiple times to see how he is doing. It's rare to get such personalized and immediate care in the US. Manipal Cure and Care is also associated to Manipal Hospital which has a long list of specialists available with more specialized tests at our disposal. I have not gone to the hospital so far but my parents and sister visited and were pleased with their service. Before we went to Manipal Cure and Care, we went to one of the Apollo clinics and I was disappointed. The facility was old, they did not have state of the art equipment, it was very crowded and they were sharing very basic equipment between each doctor's office and they did not follow the same sterile procedures I'm used to, I did not go there again. The Apollo doctor we saw was very rude and over confident and had misdiagnosed a bump I had on my arm, I was not impressed with her. One thing that is quite different in India is that during the appointments, the doctors are interrupted either with phone calls or a staff member entering their office for some reason or another. A small gripe I have but not a big deal I suppose.

At this Manipal Cure and Care, the dermatalogist was telling me that his biggest source of income was cosmetology and that botox, chemical peeling, laser hail removal were very popular treatments. They have a huge list of treatments that they offer including cosmetic dentistry and even ear piercing. When I first entered the facility, I did not think there was a market for these services but it looks like I was very wrong.

No comments: