Saturday, January 17, 2009

Humidifier

Although the humidity is higher than in California, this winter has been dry in Bangalore. Rushil's skin has taken a beating on those very dry days. We asked the doctor if we should get a humidifier and she looked at me quizzically and said this is India, we don't need humidifiers here. I explained to her that during the winter, there are days where there is only 40% of humidity and she was very surprised to hear that. After our conversation, she apparently told Prasad during our next visit that she was thinking of getting one for her home too. She had no idea to where to to buy one though.

So there begins my quest to find a humidifier. I called multiple places and of course the first time around, no one understood what I was asking for. They either transferred me to someone else or they asked me to repeat myself. So I tried the 2nd time with an Indian accent. The next question was, what is a humidifier. When I explained it to them , they promptly told me that they did not carry the item. I was expecting this to be a fruitless search but fortunately, OWC (Overseas Women's Club) came to the rescue. I'm part of a mailing alias and I searched the archives and found a few places to check and I found one at Spar. I couldn't believe the salesperson understood what I asking for the first time around and they actually have it in stock. I wanted to know the capacity and the price but the same salesperson transferred me three times to someone else to help me with this information but noone answered, each time when I explained to him that noone is answering, he acted like he was going to do something different but repeated the same action again and again.

Anyway, I gave up and went to the store. Can you believe, they said they didn't have any humidifiers and I got blank stares from all the salespeople as they did not even know what a humidifier was. Three people came to talk to me and checked at their other stores thinking maybe I called another one but none of the other stores had one either. So I'm back to square 1.

No comments: