Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ghee

We have noticed that people eat ghee indiscriminately here. Some folks at work told me that their parents send them a supply of ghee and expect it to be finished before the next supply comes in. They say that consuming ghee in the heat, cools down the body and heats it up in the winters so it's actually good for you. I don't dispute the medicinal value of ghee but consuming it everyday cannot be good for the arteries. I do have ghee in the house but it's mainly for the children and I offer it when we have guests that have children, otherwise, it stays in the fridge. I don't know, we hardly eat ghee with our food at home so I'm shocked to see adults cook with ghee and lather their chappatis with it on a regular basis.

1 comment:

Teju said...

The rule of thumb is one teaspoon a day is good for you supposedly - this obviously assumes you are eating a healthy diet otherwise

In the grand scheme of things - it is roughly 45 calories per teaspoon so a teaspoon is the equivalent of 2 cups of tea with sugar.

It does have a lot of benefits esp for building the right amount of fat between neurons (avoids cross connections leading to seizures in children and adults), prevents constipation etc..

As they say - everything in moderation