Monday, February 2, 2009

Lunch options

I'm not yet tired of the food at our cafeteria. After eating at the SJ cafeteria for 7 years, I welcome this change. They have several stalls mainly comprising of North Indian and South Indian Thalis with a delicious bowl of curd. Yes, I call it curd now because honestly, if you say yoghurt, no one has any idea what you're talking about :-) Other options are mini-thali , chat, biryani , custom-made spicy sandwiches, fresh fruit bowls and fresh fruit juices made on the spot. And they have a soup and salad counter. I have never been a big fan of having salads as the main course, primarily because my appetite is not fully satisfied with raw vegetables. In SJ, I would only order salad if I was in a huge hurry. I finally decided to venture out try out the soup and salad this week. The soup was nothing to write home about but the salad was delicious. This may not interest meat lovers as the choices for the salad were vegetarian only and it is a much smaller selection than what we get in the US. We select the salad items and then the chef individually tosses the salad with dressing and herbs. It was delicious!

2 comments:

Raji P. said...

I am seeing lots of Indian-isms creeping into your lingo, Myli!! In addition to the curd, in my blog you wrote about "office lunch" something.. when you would have normally said "work lunch" !

Mythili said...

Really, I didn't even notice! I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, it was inevitable. I even corrected an Indian raised woman who moved back to India from the US a few months ago when she was asking the cafeteria staff for yoghurt and I had to remind her to use "curd" instead as they couldn't understand her.