Thursday, February 12, 2009
Pest control - Take 2
So we saw a cockroach the other day. I was told that they multiple very quickly so rather than staying in denial, I decided to call up a pest control company. The company I used for our ant problem seems to have gone out of business. As always, this is where the adventure begins. A friend of ours recommended a company that she was using. I called them but the man either couldn't understand a word of English or was hard of hearing and he just kept grunting "Uh?" repeatedly, I didn't call him back. I wanted to find a herbal company to avoid a toxic pesticide. Godrej is a reputable company but does not offer a herbal option. All the herbal pest control companies offer a paste which will kill the cockroaches but are vague about the content of the paste and only claim that it is made of many types of herbs and they use a "secret formula". Sounds skeptical, nah? Anyway, I narrowed down my search to one company and they said they would send someone at 6:30pm that day. He called me repeatedly to confirm the time but 6:30, 7:30pm rolled by. We had to step out for a bit and I think he showed up at 8pm. I asked him to come the next day and this time he arrived at 4pm. Fortunately I was home as S&R had a school function and I worked from home in the afternoon. This is the problem, people show up before or after the appointment time. Anyway, he stuck the paste at all corners of the house, and repeatedly told me how safe the product was, let's see what happens....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Everything is an adventure, lol!! You need to rename your blog to, "Life Adventures"
Your phone luck is the stuff stories are made of - each episode is so funny! I am LMAO here :)
So guess what, we woke up in the morning and found a couple of roaches on their backs in the kitchen. Looks like the medicine was effective!
I hate to be the naysayer on this, but those herbal remedies have very limited effectiveness, IME.
It takes big guns to kill roaches...spawn of the devil that they are...
Go with the Godrej, get them to spray on a Friday and take the weekend off someplace else.
That is the ONLY pest control that we've found that works for more than a day or so. Also, remove the entry holes for the roaches (you probably know all this: screen the windows, make sure your drains are covered (the grate should be tight enough to not pop up without force), the covers on the toilet traps outside the house should be on tight (those tend to get stolen if they are of metal - most people replace them with concrete slabs ASAP for this reason), check all your kitchen nooks...if you have a modern closed kitchen especially - the darn things adore wood!
Good Luck!
M (roach phobic, nothing else bothers me!)
Maith, my cousin said the same thing. She uses the herbal remedy but says it not effective. We'll see how it goes, if they come back, I'll go with Godrej. Thanks for the other tips! We do have one of the modern kitchens and I have heard it's more of a problem with wooden cabinets.
Post a Comment