Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Single Women Seeking an Apartment

I was reading an article today in the newspaper about how difficult it is for a single 20-something woman to rent an apartment in Bangalore. It seems that most owners will ask for a "Character Certificate" to even consider the woman and at times, they charge them higher rent. Even after the place is rented to them, there is no guarantee they won't be kicked out. It's really unfortunate to see this, Bangalore has a very young dynamic population many of which are single women recently graduated from college and working in the high-tech field. I wonder how they manage, I should ask the few I do know. In "Marrying Anita", Anita is a 30 year old single woman from the US who moved to Delhi and also had a difficult time renting an apartment for the very same reason. Although I didn't give the book rave reviews. there were many parallels in her experiences living in India as with ours.

No comments: