Many folks have asked me, "What is Ugadi?" This is asked by Indians. It is somewhat surprising that people haven't heard of the festival considering it is one of the most important festivals in Andhra. Ugadi was more widely celebrated in Montreal than Deepavalli was. We would be planning months ahead for the grand Ugadi function in March or April. We would practice songs, dances, children's skits and the grand finale would be an adult play. Our whole family would be involved. At that time, there were very few Indian restaurants, so dinner would be a potluck and I remember my mother and her friends getting together days before preparing bhoondi laddoos and other savouries. Ugadi is one of the fondest memories I have with our family friends in Montreal.
Sadly, I have not continued this tradition with my children. We have attended only a couple of Ugadi functions in California and Ugadi passes by every year with nothing more than a few shared Ugadi wishes. We celebrate Deepavalli more grandly.
Ugadi is celebrated equally grandly in Karnataka so today is a holiday. We have this beautiful Neem tree in front of the house. Today Prasad gathered some Neem flowers and brought them into the house. I looked at him quizzically and said what do you want me to do with them? He looked at me and said "Ugadi Pachadi!?!" I replied, "You must be kidding me!" I know I'm lazy. My cousins, aunt and uncle are coming by, hopefully my aunt will know what to do with them :-)
Happy Ugadi, otherwise known as "Happy New Year"
3 comments:
Happy Ugadi, Myli!! I am working very closely with a woman who is from Montreal and she sounds like you sort of :)
Happy Ugadi!! Maharashtrians have a similar thing called Gudi Padwa or the start of a new year and you are right - we do not do much other than wish each other..
It is an interesting tradition in maharashtra where you drank water in which neem flowers are soaked for an hour or so. It is said to have healing and cleansing properties and kept you healthy for the year..
teju
Happy New Year! Was your aunt upto making the bevu-bella?
Interestingly we make the same pachadi for our new year as well - in April :-)
Post a Comment